Saturday, August 27, 2016

Mentors – The Driving Power Behind Club Growth

By Lee Holliday, DTM, PID


The secret to club growth lies in application of principles you may have heard time and again.

Theodore Roosevelt, twenty-sixth President of the United States, is quoted as saying: “People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.”


Zig Ziglar, a motivational teacher and trainer who traveled the world over, delivering his messages of humor, hope, and encouragement, said: “You can have everything in life that you want if you just give enough other people what they want.”


Once a Toastmasters club is formed, the growth of that club can only be sustained when the individual needs of individual members are met. You accomplish that by investing your time, concern and energy in developing relationships with members. Relationships takes time.Trust and credibility must be built over a period of time. THAT is what you lead with.

When I started in Toastmasters, I met an experienced member who took an interest in me. His interest was not focused only on what my Toastmasters experience might be or become, but he cared about me as a person. His name is Bill May. Time after time, Bill invited me to lunch, to coffee, to his home, and on trips, and our friendship grew. Along the way, he answered my Toastmaster questions, gently guiding me to grow personally and in my leadership and communication skills. HE CARED ABOUT ME.

I never felt that Bill was forcing me into a preconceived notion of what or who he thought I should be. Instead, he was providing opportunities that I could apply and helping me understand the value of those opportunities. Bill saw a bigger picture of what Toastmasters could be for me and he took opportunities to help me develop my vision for that over time.

My relationship with Bill has become my personal model for what mentoring is. We hear and see so much information about the “need” for mentoring programs in our clubs. I don’t disagree with that. I challenge and encourage you to not wait for an official mentor program or mentor assignment. Begin your own path to being a mentor. Mentoring must become an organic aspect of our Toastmasters culture, not just an organized program. When a mentoring program grows out of the culture, it will flourish. If you try to force-feed and organize mentoring into the culture, it will flounder.

As you begin investing “one-on-one” genuine care and concern in individual club members, they will learn to emulate your mentoring example. Ultimately, they will do the same for other club members. The mentoring culture will be established. Only then a vibrant mentoring program will yield successful members who, in turn, make successful clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment