Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Why DEMO?

By: Michelle Woodley, CC, ALB
Area 65 Director 2015–2016


It was April 27, 2016 in North Dallas, Texas. It was unusually cool for a Spring day in Texas; only 88 degrees. You know by now the temperatures are above 90 degrees. But enough about the weather.

I jumped in my car and headed to Addison for my first DEMO meeting. What possessed me to do that? Actually there were several reasons:
Helps you get out of your comfort zone:  I am celebrating my 8-year anniversary with my home club. While I love my club and enjoy meeting with them every week, I have become very comfortable. The meetings are nowhere near stale nor boring, but I have become comfortable. Even though I’ve been in Toastmasters for several years and have been very involved in the organization this year, I have to be honest with you…I was nervous to attend this DEMO meeting. I didn’t know what to expect when I decided to attend the meeting. For me, Toastmasters is about pushing your boundaries and getting out of your comfort zone. Attending the DEMO meeting, allowed me to step out of that zone.
Meet current Toastmasters:  I was Area Director, and therefore, very involved in Toastmasters. I have met a lot of Toastmasters. And at this DEMO meeting, I managed to meet even more current Toastmasters, including a Toastmaster whose husband and mother worked at my current employer. It truly is a small world.
Meet new people and watch them experience Toastmasters for the first time:  Attending a DEMO meeting is a great networking opportunity to meet new people due to a great organization. There were Human Resources representatives and civic servants (firemen and policemen) at the meeting, all eager to learn about Toastmasters and what the organization has to offer.
You’re one step closer to getting that snazzy Booster Award Pin:  Need I say more?
Knowing you may be part of the next BIG THING:  If the attendees of that DEMO meeting are able to get 20 members and charter immediately or later down the line, you can have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that you were a part of the start of a new club! 
What’s better than that? Maybe the free lunch that was served to all attendees. Mmmm…nope…the warm fuzzy feeling is much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment